Wednesday 6 July 2011

A Third Helping of Old Poetry


Well here are 10 more poems (the ones with 2-3 votes). Enjoy!

Poem 30- The Misty Valley (age 14)

The Misty Valley

In a valley of mists
There lies a lake
Surrounded by mountains
Whose snowy peaks
Pierce the foggy skies
And the lake shimmers
Ripples spreading across its surface
With plains of green grass
Carpeting the valley floor

Poem 39- Wind and Cloud (age 14)

Wind and cloud

In the swirling winds that spread through the air
Above the pale pink clouds
A castle of air stands
Almost invisible against the background of the sky
Seen only by the shimmers and glimmers
Of the sun reflected of the battlements
And their lives in this airy castle
A figure of clouds
A giant that controls the winds that blow
Across the surface of the earth
When tranquil he is made of clouds pure white
But angered he is storm clouds forbidding
With lightening flickering through his hair
And he and his castle stand eternal
Against the power of the winds of fury

Poem 40- Wind and Waves (age 14)


Wind and Waves

A gushing vortex in the deep green sea
With foam and froth that crash against the rock
A rupture in the eternal void
Of the infinite stretch of waters
As the waves crash onto the shore
Whipped up by the wind and storm
The sea is angered
Pouring itself on the land
But its anger is brief
The sea is calm and gentle
With waves that lap lovingly against the shore
The sea is patient
Gradually wearing away
At the substance of the cliffs
The sea is eternal
With many moods and tempers
The sea is varied but unchangeable
It is as unknowable as the future
But one thing does not change
Through out its many moods and tempers
Be it anger or calmness
The sea is powerful.

Poem 1- A Cento- (age 14) This is the type of poem made up of lines from other poems. I didn't come up with these lines I only put them together.

A Cento- Death in Nature

Do not stand at my grave and weep
Nothing remains. Round the decay
And miles to go before I sleep
While barrèd clouds bloom the soft dying day

I hear it in the deep heart’s core
‘Neath the starred and leafy sky
Its melancholy, long withdrawing roar
I am not there. I did not die.

Poem 12- Light (age 14)

Light

I am the wielder of hope
I control joy and love
I am in charge of peace
From me all of these are born
For I am light, I’m good itself
And although I am weakened
I shall prevail in the end

Poem 16- No Rules For Me (age 11)- This was the poem I had to write for homework.

No Rules For Me

Firstly if I had no rules I would have no bedtime
Because we could have fun and play all night

There would be no wars
Because people get killed and people are sad

There would be no mugging
Because you lose belongings like your mobile phone

There would be no school clothes
So you could chose what you wanted

Isn’t that great

There would be no cabbage or Brussels Sprouts
Because they taste horrible

There would be no cleaning teeth
So dentists get lots more people

I would save the wild
Because they didn’t do anyone any harm

I would own an elephant
So I could ride it to school

Isn’t that fun

I would get every single book in the world for free
As I love books

I would change all my grades into A+’s
So my parents would think I’m super intelligent

I would rob banks
So I could get rich

And I wouldn’t ever write a poem like this one
Because they never come true

Oops!!!!! I’ve just written one, haven’t I?

Poem 26- Sunrise (age 14)

Sunrise

The sky is a sheet coloured indigo blue
All sprinkled with shining white stars
As the inky blackness drains away
And a faint sheen of pink appears

This faint sheen of pink
Once fragile and frail
Gets stronger and brighter
And clouds gather to hail

The blinding yellow orb
That appears on the rim
Of a pink yellow sky
The sun rises

And a new day begins
With sunrise

Poem 28- The Child and the Witch (age 14)

The child and the witch


Run child run
The witch doeth come
Through starry skies of frost and dew
The witch is coming after you

The child sobbed he ran with fear
He ran so fast his feet sprout wings
He flew ‘til he was a distant speck
But still the witch came after him

The witch was flying on her broom
She cackled loudly “thou art doomed!”
He few so fast but even still
Upon his back a shadow loomed

Mere minutes pass the child doeth tire
While on her broom the witch flies fast
A crunching noise then silence
Now the child’s a remnant of the past

Poem 32- The Obvious (age 10)- The second earliest poem I ever wrote based upon a poem called "A Guinea Pig"

The Obvious

One day I saw a big bold bear
Who being bold I could not scare
As he was wet he wasn’t dry
As he was a bear, he wasn’t a fly
As he was big he was not small
As he was dumb he had no sense at all
As he was brown he was not pink
When he went for a swim he did not sink
When he was fasting he did not eat
As he couldn’t fly he used his feet
As he was young he wasn’t old
As he was alive he was not gold
Although his roars were very violent
He never roared when he was silent
As he wasn’t clever he was often fooled
As he had hair he was not bald
When he moved he wasn’t still
As he was healthy he wasn’t ill
He found some money and bought some meat
As it wasn’t expensive it must have been cheap
When he was sad he often cried
One day he took a whim and died
And when I met a men of sense
He told me he hadn’t been living since
Now he is dead and not alive
He died at the age of ninety five.

Poem 38- Violets (age 14)

Violets

In mossy dells
Besides a brook
That burbles full of joy

A lonely violet
Pokes up her head
She’s felling shy and coy

A beautiful thing
A shapely flower
With stripes of white and purple

Through sun and rain
She grows up tall
With oak trees, moss and maple

2 comments:

  1. YEAH! The 3rd part!!!!!!!!!!


    I laughed at the poem about rules. That was great- then again, what did I expect?

    Amazing as usual, Octa!


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like "The Obvious".

    What doesn't mean that I wouldn't like the other ones, too. =P
    ^^

    ReplyDelete