Sunday 17 March 2013

Inside Another's Eyes

This poem went in a much more macabre direction than I started out at. Inspired by "Today I'll Sit Still" by Ernesto Trejo. Many thanks to Thalia for bringing the poem to my attention. I hope you enjoy.


Inside Another’s Eyes

Trapped inside another person’s echo
Remembering memories I have never known
With unfamiliar faces
Haunting unfamiliar places
And the strangest of those faces is my own

I want to scale the cavern of my skull
And take my heartbeat softly by surprise
And be the sky inside my mortal eyes
And be the sky inside my mortal eyes

I try to swim the river of my blood
Or whatever liquor courses through these veins
With those ever fizzing bubbles
That embodies all my troubles
Til they burst inside another person’s brain

I want to blow away the dust that settles on my heart
That spluttering chokes it to one last demise
And be the sky inside my tear pricked eyes
And be the sky inside my tear pricked eyes

I want to grow inside myself
 Be impossible to contain
Yet I am restrained
For someone else is me
Someone who doesn’t know how to be
And both of us are unhappy

I want to nagivate the maze of my ribs
Picked clean by scuttling ants and buzzing flies
And be the sky inside my former eyes
And be the sky inside my former eyes

2 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Octa, this poem is so gorgeous, so haunting and poignant. The emotion you conveyed is amazing and I can relate to it so strongly.

    Oh my gosh I can't even articulate my thoughts correctly.

    This has touched me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....
    Amazing. The rhythm is just absolutely perfect, and it's just so well-written! Definitely one of my favs ever!

    ReplyDelete