Monday 18 February 2013

Forming a Childhood

A little back story. My grandma turned eighty yesterday. And I wrote this poem for her birthday. When I was four or five she always used to tell me stories about a wizard called Mercury and a fairy called Twinkletoes who would solve all the problems of the animals and children and fairyfolk with a magic computer. And these stories were a very formative part of my childhood. And so I wanted to say thank you for teaching me to be kind and hopeful and optomistic. And for giving me a love of reading.


Forming a Childhood

An idea for a tale arose
Of Mercury and Twinkletoes
A wizard and his friend a fairy
Their solving skills were legendary

They always helped the ones in need
With magic, kindness and good deed
 For though the folk were sometimes sad
They’d turn the sad into a glad

Juno the elephant
What was his goal?
To plunge into a volcano
To rescue a troll

And so I hope you see
How much these stories meant to me
These stories in me sparked a greed
A greed to read and read and read

You planted acceptance in my mind
And taught me always to be kind
To show concern for others
And love the world like brothers

An optimistic stance on life
Will combat all and every strife   
And if it seems I cannot cope
To stop and view the world with hope

So thank you grandma for making me
The person who I grew up to be 

2 comments: